Homemade Rice Vermicelli Recipe
I have always looked for easy recipes of Indian food dishes. And with the arrival of baby easy recipes for kids are top in my list. This recipe is one of the Indian breakfast recipes I have known for years but I have never tried it myself. I only hog the home made rice vermicelli when my mother or mother-in-law prepare whenever I visit them.
The recipe is easy, very few ingredients, but it requires patience. Once prepared, you need not cook anything else for the entire day. This will serve as one of the finest breakfast recipes, dinner recipes, actually all time recipes.
The vermicelli has the great aroma of coconut. You must definitely taste this once in your lifetime when you have a chance.
There are some local traditional hotels which serve self-prepared breakfast recipes of rice vermicelli.
- 1 measure of rice.
- 2 measure of water.
- 1/4th measure of grated coconut.
- Salt (as per taste)
- Soak the rice in water over night.
- Next morning grind the rice and water to make fine batter. Do not use more water. Water should be double the quantity of rice. Thats all. Else, the vermicelli will begin to stick to each other and will not be a pleasure to eat.
- Add salt to the prepared batter.
- Now, take a thick bottomed wide mouthed pan, add one spoon of coconut oil and heat.
- Once oil is hot, add all the batter. Keep stirring without any interval.
- You should not stop stirring until the water is evaporated and the batter turns into a mould.
- Now make small balls of this mould and place in a vessel.
- Cook the mould balls in the vessel over steam for about 15 minutes.
- When the balls are still warm, press them in the vermicelli pressing stand. Collect the vermicelli in a plate.
- That makes the home made rice vermicelli.
Traditionally vermicelli is served along with any of the below options-
- coconut milk mixed with banana pieces, jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Coconut oil and mango pickle syrup.
- Coconut oil and sugar.
- Tamarind syrup.
- Or seasoning mixed with broken vermicelli.
This is the traditional recipe of Coastal Udupi and a guarantee preparation on special occasions.