Kesu Patrode (Patrode Type 1)
Kesu or Colocasia patrode is a traditional taste which is prepared with a blend of spices.
This is a pure vegetarian Mangalore cuisine. The batter that is prepared for patrode is the main item that holds the taste of the entire preparation. It need not be Colocasia leaves only. You can prepare patrode with any other edible leaves too.
Colocasia leaves plant are also known as Elephant ear plants.
- 7- 8 Colocasia leaves
- 3 spoons urad dal
- Half spoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 cups grated coconut
- Jaggery (Two times the size of a lemon)
- 2 big red chillies.
- 2 spoon full jeera
- 4 spoons coriander seeds.
- Tamarind (one lemon size)
- Half spoon turmeric
- 3 cups semolina
- Fry urad and fenugreek seeds in oil till urad turns golden brown.
- Leaving Semolina, add all other ingredients into the mixer and blend well to make a fine paste.
- To the blended paste, ad semolina and bring it to the consistency of batter. The batter should be thick enough to apply all around the Colocasia leaves. It should not be runny.
- Now, clean the leaves, cut the smallest stem or rim that is at the back of the leaves. Apply the batter throughout the leaf. Fold the leaf into half and again apply the batter. Roll the half folded leaf by again applying the batter in between the rolls.
- Do the batter applying procedure for all the leaves.
- Cook the rolled colocasia leaves in steam.
- Once the cooked rolls cools down, cut it into slices.
- To a hot pan, apply some butter and place the roll slices for sallow frying. Top it with some more butter. Turn it upside down until the crispiness appears.
Serve hot fried crispy kesu patrode rolls.
It is served alone. It is a best combination with curd rice too. (Personal taste)
If this space has been making you Happy so far, please like Happiest Ladies on Face Book. Thanks for making me Happy. :-)