Header Ads

Homemade Rasam Powder

Sambar Powder, Rasam Powder, Puliyogere powder, Bisibele Bath Powder, Tomato Bath Powder, ....oh so many!!!

My mother makes her own; my mother in law makes her own powder too, my granny always made, all my aunts make their own rasam powder.


Home made Rasam Powder



And I shamelessly telephones either mother-in-law (at times mother) and informs my Rasam Powder Tin has hit the bottom. :-P.

I have noted down the ratio of the ingredients so many times before my marital shift; every time I misplace the note and find 101 excuses to do it myself next time.

It had to be Happiest Ladies that made me real serious about Rasam Powder. Now I know the ratio well, I know the procedure well, and of course I know the recipe to prepare the Rasam too very well.

So, back to the actual work of preparing Rasam Powder. This is the typical Shivalli style preparation in Udupi.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups coriander seeds
  • 150 g dry red chillies
  • 2 spoon fenugreek seeds
  • 1 cup curry leaves
  • 2 spoon cumin/ jeera seeds


Ingredients for sambar powder+masala recipe


Homemade Rasam Powder Recipe:

Heat a thick wide pan. When it is considerably hot, add coriander seeds and dry fry over medium flame. Fry till they change in color. Do not blacken the seeds. Once done, pour it to a tray and keep it aside.

Again to the hot pan, add fenugreek seeds and dry fry. Once done, add fried fenugreek seeds to the tray.

Thus carry on dry frying with each of the ingredients separately. 

Allow all the fried ingredients in the tray to cool.


Home made sambar powder+southindian recipe


Once cool, crush all together in the mixer jar. Store the powder in an airtight container. 
This quantity easily spans for one month for me.


Masala Sambar Powder+recipes


There are recipes that include asafoetida and turmeric while preparing the rasam powder. It is purely optional. I use them directly while preparing rasam. 

I like the aroma and the color too. What do you feel?

If this space has been making you Happy so far, please like Happiest Ladies on Face Book. Thanks for making me Happy. :-)


Also read:

No comments

Privacy Policy. Powered by Blogger.